Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Found Some Rugby Teams! And Weekend Plans

I sent out an e-mail to the 6 teams in Mexico city, turs out that there are at least two of them who play fairly close to Toluca (in between Mexico City and Toluca just off the highway). The Jaguares and the Wallabies play thier games there but their practices are elswhere, not sure where. I think somewhere in Mexico City. I want to find a team that is fairly close but more importantly accesable easily by bus.

I got a extremely quick response from Frederico who plays for the Jaguares so I think I will be parcial to them. He invited me to play with them this weekend. I want to get into this for a couple of reasons, I want to play, and I want to meet more people with my same interests. I am really anxious to see the rugby culture here. To see the similarities and differences. I really want to learn some of the songs in spanish! Although I haven't seen the conitions of their fields, I have seen several of the soccer fields around town and they do not look very pleasant, more like the infield of a baseball diamond....dirt! So I think I will have to buy a new pair of soccer style cleats because the only ones I have right now have 3/4 inch studs and are for the soggy fields of the wet michigan springs. You can get them for real cheap at the market though.

I am sad to say that I will not be able to go this weekend because I am going to go cave hicking with my buddy Fernando. Him and his friends do it every year and this year he invided me. They go to some famous caves that I cannot pronounce nor remember the name, but somewhere north of here, where it is an overnight trip. There are even parts where you have to swim through water! I am going to need good dry boots, light cloths that can dry fast, and a hard hat with a light (I am using Kain's Holcim hard hat). It should be very exciting. I shall have more descriptive details after the event. Hopefully I can find a waterproof disposible camera (no luck yet), but if not I think I will get a regular one and try to keep it dry in a baggie.

No comments: