Friday, March 10, 2006

Another Sweet Adventure This Weekend

Tonight I will be off to Rio Chonta, a river that runs through a cave somewhere here in Mexico. I think it is in the north near Queretaro but not sure, it may be south as well. I tried to do some research but I could not find much at all. We (Fernando, his friends and I) will be hiking through caves over night, starting on Saturday morning untill sunday afternoon. I'm not really sure what to expect, I've been in some caves in the states before but when I was young and can't really remember where and they were simple with steps and lights, but these caves are hard core. They are super long and deep as hell. We need to have water proof backpacks, quick drying cloths, hard hats, flashlights (for the hard hat and hand held), sleeping bags, dry cloths, food, and of course Whisky and Tequilla for when we set up camp to help us sleep while we are cold and wet! It should be pretty hard core, there are parts where we have to swim!

All I can think about was the recient movie about caves and that there were some sort of monsters living there, maybe they are friendly monsters that look like hot naked chicks! Probably not, more like chupacabra! I will be on the look out and be ready for a quick photo opportunity to catch the mystical creature they call Chupacabra! Maybe I will run into La Edrona (spelling), who was in the ghost stories of my uncles that they told to all the kids while camping. She had her baby stolen from her and somehow she died, so she wandered through the forrests looking for her baby, saying in a ghostly moan, "whereeeeeee is my baaaaaaaaaaaabyyyyyyyy." It was really scary because at night when all the kids were sleeping the uncles and older cousins would creap by the campers and mimic the saying, freakin' out all the kids. Tradition I guess, right along with Snipe hunting! Maybe I'll see some of those as well! Supposedly all the mystical creatures live in this cave, unicorns, big foot, ligers (thanks Nepoleon Dynamite), Falkor - the flying doglike dude from Never Ending Story, mermaids, and the loch ness monster just to name a few!

I am excited and thrilled to have the opportunity to camp in some caves. A lot of people would have nothing to do with this event siteing, cold, wet, closterphobic (sp), creature infested conditions. But I see all those as an exciting experience and I can't pass the opportunity.

I have a camera, but I hope it will last becuse all the waterproof ones didn't have flashes on them so I had to get a regular disposible one with a flash. I guess there isn't a big market for cave cameras. So we will see when I get back and get them developed. IF I COME BACK AT ALL!

No comments: