Sunday, March 05, 2006

Saturday's Rugby Adventures

Saturday was a good day. It took us a while to find the pitch at Dos Rios in Huixquilucan (pronounced like whisky-con), MX. I missed the turn off of the highway and then there was a small town to drive through without very descriptive directions, but we got there. The pitch was in better condition that I had imagined, it had rass and was fairly soft, a lot softer than Douglass Walker park in summer! It was smack dab in the center of a river valley with a wonderful view of the mountains and part of the city crawling up them. It was a wonderful day weather wise as well, sunny and about 80 degrees. (I'm not sure what happened with the color of the left end of the pic)

There was three games; the first was two prospective teams the Wallabies and the Jaguares, Demonios and some other team, then Celaya (out of guanajuato) and another prospective team Miquiztli. There was decent competition all day, there are a lot of foreigners that play from all over. The teams had beer there and of course Karin and I had a couple while enjoying the sun and Rugby.

I spent a lot of the time talkig with the guys from the teams introducing myself and getting information about practices and what not. Mostly everybody spoke english so it was easy to communicate to my delight. After the matches we headed over to a bar that was right next to the fields with the team from Miquiztli. It was in the middle of a playground, I thought that was interesting. Also interesting was that there was sheep just hanging out walking around freely, they kept trying to get dropped peanuts under the bar and knocking people over, I've never had to mind sheep while drinking before!

Now I am dreaded with the fact that I have to pick a team to play for. There is still one more team, Tazmania, that wasn't there on saturday because they traveled to Veracruz. I think I have narrowed it down to three teams, the Wallabies, Miquiztli, and Tazmania. I think my main concern and decidig factor will be whick is easier for me to get to trainings. The wallabies and Tazmania are closest and fairly easy, and Miquitztli had some fu dudes. The Wallabies seem to be the most organized. I think another question I have to answer is how much I want to committ and if I want a team or a club. I think I will try and go to a practice or two from the clubs and try each of them out. I think I'll have a better idea after that. No matter which club I choose, I think I will get to play alot and have fun with them, they all seemed like really cool dudes. We'll see whats up.

No comments: