Sunday, March 26, 2006

Saturday Rugby Activities

I took Kairn to the bus station at about 3 am on saturday morning. I fergot that I was only taking her to the bus statin and not all the way to the airport so all night I was worried that I was going to be but tired all day for my rugby match, but relieved when I remembered that it was only the bus station which is in Toluca as opposed to the airport in Mexico City which would have been about a 3-4 hour trip. All was well.

Our game was at a place they call "la Isla," and it was in the north west of Mexico City. We were to meet off a Toll highway and it was fairly easy to find, thank god they give good directions with land marks. It took me about 2 hours to get there from Toluca. Once we were at the meting place we caravaned it to the pitch which was way back in the hills via a gravel road with many turns that were not marked, I would have never found it alone.

The pitch was the worst I have ever played on. The grass was all dead, the ground was hard, it was lumpier than blind person's book, on three sides there was deep ravines so everytime the ball was kicked out it would have to be chased and it took a while, even though were using two balls, they were sometimes being gathered a the same time.... a little break.

We lost to the Tazmania Rugby Club. I can't remember the score but I think we lost by like two tries or close to that. It was a good match. They had a couple strong runners and their 8 man was a stud. He was proball 6'5'' or taller, he appeared somewhat skinny but he was solid and coule very well have been the hardest person I have ever tried to tackel. I played at a wing forward (#6) and my job was to watch for the 8 man pickup so I saw him a lot. Did a pretty good job I think. There was one time where the 8 man picked it up from the scrum and Initialy I missed the tackel on him but hung with him and rode him until I got him out of bounds. I was told defensively to be on the same side as a big Irish guy and stick with him, I did my job well but the dude didn't do much due to a bad wheel.

There was another game after us and everybody stuck around for beer and they were grilling burgers, chicken and shrimp for tacos. It was all normal after the match rugby fun with people having to shoot the boot when they spiled beer and what not. It was fun, I got to know a lot of they guys a little better.

Since I had the car and that I really didn't have anything to do I told thatm that I wanted to stick around and party in Mexico City, so one of the guys, ofo, said that he will have people over. So I followed them to his house ina neighborhood they call naranjo. First we went to a taco joint and ate a bunch of tacos, bought beer, and headed to his place for the fiesta. He had a nice crib, his parents owned a couple of the buildings there. He had a sewwt sterio and a really nice plasma screen TV. It was a sweet bachelor pad. Anyway, there was a lot of people there, mostly rugby guys and their women (I don't think any of them were single:(. There was a lot of drinking and dancing. We danced to all kinds of music, but mostly mexican dancing. We partied all night.

No comments: