Saturday, January 28, 2006

Mr. Crabby Pants

This morning and early afterneen I was Mr. Crabby Pants. The last two nights I haven't got very much sleep (2 and 4 hrs respectively). I really don't know how to explain it but I cannot sleep at night. I like to fall asleep in front of the TV, if I try to sleep in my bed I just stare wide awake at the ceiling and think of whatever crosses my mind, from forming who I am today from choldhood experiences to reminiscing about past relationships and what I could have done different.

Beware, the psychology background is going to kick in:

In order to explain my sleep disorder, I think that there are two ways of exploring causes; the two being hereditary and environmentally influences (Nature vs. Nurture).

From a nature perspective, my biological clock is set for the latter hours of the day. That may be the reason that my father is so comfortable working third shift. We are wired to strive in the hours when most people sleep.

Speaking environmentally, I could say that throught my childhood and young adulthood I learned vicarously (by observing) by watching my father work 3rd shift for the last I don't know how many years. Keeping awake in the wee hours of the night was learned because I saw my father show those behavioral charachteristics.

I am not in favor of one or the other because I believe that both influences the behavior I show.

Usually I sleep untill noon or later (cuando sin un trabajo levantarse por, when I don't have a job to get up for), I've had to wake up earlier due to making a trip to DF (dea effe, aka Mexico City) and what not. Which I have no problem doing. But no matter what the next day brings I still have the inability to sleep at a decent hour.

Behavior can always be explained.

I will be getting up about 7am tomarro because we are going to church and after going to see more ruins with Fernando and his family, knowing that I should try to fall asleep at a decent hour but I am not tired. Maybe a couple Red Bull will do the trick. We'll see whats up.

No comments: