Monday, September 25, 2006

Not Exciting Does not Equal Boring

Not much has been going on around my neck of the woods, at least not really to write about. Two weekends ago we celebrated the day of Mexican Independence. We got drunk with friends and went to Valle do Bravo. It was cool but I really wasn’t motivated to write about it because it would have been the same old we did this and it was cool, we did that and it was cool, and so on. The same with this weekend, I went out with friends both nights but nothing extremely exciting.

I feel like I sort of got into a groove and the things we did in the last year that were exciting and interesting have turned into the normal every week things. I guess you could compare it to if you had a peep hole into the girl’s locker room which was super exciting (in more than one way) at first but after a while it’s the same thing over and over and eventually becomes somewhat boring. But for some reason you still continue to do it because you are used to it and there isn’t really anything else to do, maybe it’s time to find a different location with new things. OK, maybe a bad example but I just want to show if something isn’t exciting, doesn’t mean boring, but something new couldn’t hurt.

It’s almost like I am not living here to experience new things anymore, I am just here. The things that were once new have lost their interestingness and excitingness (are those words?). For example, it used to be adventurous to take the bus, but I take it every day and it is dirty, stinky, and loud. It used to be fun to go to the supermarket and see the different products they have, now it sucks because they never have the things you want. It used to be fun driving in the crowded streets because it resembled a video game, but I am stuck on the same level and there is no web site to tell you what to do or cheat codes.

I’m not saying that it is boring here because it isn’t. It’s just that it’s not as exciting as it used to be. Let me reintegrate that not exciting does not equal boring.

High School got boring then I moved away to college. College was great, freedom, booze, girls, rugby, then came credit card debt, rent, injuries, ramen noodles every day, steady girlfriend. Then graduation where I got a job and had money to spend, parting like a rock star, but then came routine, work every day, same friends, same bars, longer hangovers, less women, responsibility. So I moved to Mexico and it is becoming routine all over again.

Who knows where I will end up next, getting a teaching certification, back to school for psychology, move to a whole new part of the US, but I’m sure that it will lose its luster and another change will be immanent.

This is not a rant about me not liking it here anymore, just merely speaking my mind. I am happy and it is fun doing the things that I have grown accustomed to with my sister and friends. I will continue to have fun and make the most of my stay here for the next 4-5 months.

Peace out!

No comments: