Friday, June 23, 2006

Drag...Back to the Everyday Grind

What up homies! Just doin’ the every day grind again. Well, not really. I did about 30 hours this week but will only have 25 a week from now on. It is going spectacularly (is that a word, that’s right folks, since I am an English teacher I can make up my own words). I did a class all by myself and it was fun as hell. My students loved it. I did another encounter (the toughest class due to the concentration on grammar) today and got some great feedback, my boss said that she was thoroughly impressed and I improved tremendously from the first encounter I did, which was awesome because she is on vacation for three weeks and I didn’t want her to leave with doubts. She is going back home to Wales for her sisters wedding. It is a lot of fun and my days go be quicker and they are cooler to due to the interactions I get to be involved in.

I went shopping the other day and spent about $1500 pesos on a couple pair of dress pants, shirts, a belt, new T-shits, socks, and undies (I have officially weaned myself off of whitey tighties and have moved completely to boxer briefs, with the exception to Rugby training and games, and exercising). That is the most I have spent at one time for clothes in… probably since I was a kid and we went school clothes shopping, I can remember playing those games they had a kids-r-us with the chincy music and the lights, and also when I first had to get my pants from the “Husky” section. Those were the days. It was also fun because I got to get my pants hemmed up right there on the spot. The problem was I had to speak Spanish. It went well and everything went smoothly and they were all done in a half hour. SWEET! For free too.

One of the receptionists at Wall Street, Monica, asked me for some help yesterday. She is applying to an English university and she wants help for the entrance exam. We chatted over coffee today o talk about it. People here who want to learn English for employment purposes try to get a certificate that says that they know it. There are 5 different levels of certification. So, if you are applying at an American or English company and they ask if you are fluent in English, you can show them a certificate that says so. Turns out that some people lie about how much they know. The certificate just makes it official. She will get the outline in a week or two, when she does I will be going over it with her to prepare her. There are a couple sections in it; written, spoken, conversational and there is an interview as well. She needs a lot of work in pronunciation and also written. She is very nervous but I think she will do well. It isn’t until the end of September. I am more than happy to help her, but I will probably ask her to help me with my Spanish as payment.

Not sure what sister has planned for the weekend but on Saturday Mexico plays Argentina in the next round of the World Cup. USA didn’t make the cut. If they would have won their last game against Ghana they would have (but then they would play Brazil so they would have gotten their asses kicked by them). I am really interested in futbol now. I watched two games yesterday!

I don’t think that I will be making it home in July. Just the new job and all, I don’t want to ask for time off quite yet. I’ll maybe make it back for the annual Brethren Day’s trip over Labor Day or sometime in August. I would have really liked to make one of the three Diaz family weekends coming up (canoe trip, reunion, or BJ’s wedding) but I don’t think I can do it.

We’ll see what’s up.

No comments: