Sunday, April 02, 2006

Rugby in Celaya, Guanajuato

Let me start by saying my total time on the couch was like 65 hours. I ended up going into my bed to sleep that night. But as soon as the morning (afternoon) came around I went right back to the couch, but I did end up getting out of the house that night to drive to Mexico City to pick up Karinski at the airport. Thursday was pretty much the same but I again drove to Mexico City for Rugby practice.

Saturday –
We were to go to the land of our grandfather's family, the state of Guanajuato. They were from a small town called Santa Getrudis. I tried to find it on a map but with no luck, that would have been cool to visit and take some pictures to share with the family.

We woke up early; we were to meet at the place where we practice at 9:30. The schedule was to head out early (it was about a 3-4 hour drive to Celaya, Guanajuato, just North West of Queretaro) because we were going to supposedly the best place for barbacoa (sheep) in Mexico for breakfast. It was amazing.

We got to the University of Celaya with plenty of time to relax and let our meal digest although I was still burping up my barbacoa up until we started to play. I guess I should have chilled out a little bit, but it was sooooooo good, especially with the cilantro, sebolla, limon (lime), cuarto tipos de salsa y jugo de naranja.

Celaya is one of the good and organized teams in Mexico. It was a good match but again we were on the losing side. They had a really big and strong pack that controlled a lot of the game. I started at inside center, didn’t get very many touches though. The second half I was moved to flanker. Usually I prefer the backs but lately have been really digging the flanker position. A lot of time the rucks are very sloppy with a lot of opposition falling on the ball and using their hands so I like to teach them a lesson here and there… with my boot! It is also really fun to clear out the rucks with my fists when a dude is trying to poach the ball with his head down. Nothing like a nice smack in the face to remind them to think twice next time they try to kill my ruck. So I think it is the fact that I get to play more around the ruck that I like, I can really use my experience to help clean up the bodies and hands.

The social was at a hacienda. The members of Celaya have a lot of money so they have cool places to party. We drove out to the country and there was a huge house, there was a courtyard with a pool and it would be a sweet place to throw a party. Basically we hung out for a little bit, ate some food, drank a couple beers and were on our way… it was a long drive back. I have a couple cool pics of the sunset in guanajuato but I am again having trouple posting them here, so you can see them at my photobucket link.

After a couple beers after a match, you get the itch for more. So we decided to get some roadies to booze cruise on the way home. Don’t worry, technically it is illegal but you can do whatever you want in Mexico so it was no problem. It was Karin driving (because I drove there) and my good buddies Ofo, Nico, and Christian. It was a rather short ride with all the fun we were having. We were jammin’ to tunes and we were smokin’ Cuban cigars!

We got back to Ofo’s place for more boozin’ in Mexico City. We didn’t hang out for very long because we were tired and still had a long drive back to Toluca. IT took us a while to figure out where to go but we finally got there. I made a couple calls to a couple people and pretty much hit the hay. I woke up with my face hurting (got popped in the nose) and a really sore shoulder. Busted up shoulders are the worst because you can’t do a lot of the normal everyday things you are used to like wiping your ass, washing your hair, and sleeping in the positions that you like. It feels a lot better now, I just hae to have a constant flow of aspirin to help me out.

I have two new video clips to show. The first one is a really short one of a lineout
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=620593073&n=2

And then the secod one is the ride to the hacienda for the social
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=620602671&n=2

They are kinda lame but I was just tryin' to have some fun.

ONLY 10 MORE DAYS TO OUR TRIP BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hasta la vista.

No comments: