Friday, December 02, 2005

Drive to Mexico City

I have been driving all over Toluca and I think I got a pretty good handle on it. It is extremely different. Usually I always tried to be a defencive driver, but here you have to be super offencive. But I like it and its fun to cut people off, whip around turns, and run red lights (everybody does it). Mexico City is 10 times worse with 100 times the people.

The real test was comming up. I was going to drive to the airport in Mexico City to Pick up Pat (Karins Boyfriend). I was excited because I like the way they drive here, but the traffic I was not looking forward too. The traffic is rediculusly stupid in the worlds largest city. Bumper to bumper, inch by inch throught the whole city. We finally made it safe and sound, we stayed on our route and it was easy exept for the traffic.

So we picked him up, now was the trip home. It´s not exactly like you are going to go the same way you came from because every road is a one way and they all go every which way and the signes are often confusing. Karin was trying to navigate but she was too excited about Pat being there that she didn´t tell me when I needed to turn, so I missed it. So...now the fun part, try to get back to where we know where we were at. We ended up turning around and then we thought that it was safest to go all the way back to the airport and start over again. This time around Karin was more attentive and I relied a little more on my natural ability to navigate and we got to where we needed to go.

It was a very exciting experience. It can very closely be compared to a video game. Going fast, dodging crazy Taxi drivers, the lanes I swear are thinner than the car is wide, huge busses going like a million miles an hour, un marked speed bumps in the most suprising locations, people selling just about anything at every stoplight, watching street performers spreading out broken glass on the ground, laying on it and tossing up a huge rock and catching it several times (seriously), and almost missing a turn and flying across three lanes to get there. You seroiusly get the rush of a video game.

We got home safely due to the heroic efforts of myself to void out the distractions and concentrate on the road. That was fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keithy-boy. I'm so glad to hear from you (I think) Maybe mom shouldn't read these blogs because well, you are making me nervous. I do enjoy reading them though, seeing that I can not talk to you much. They are very funny and you are beginning to sound like your father (scary isn't it). Have a good time son, and I look foward to seeing you at Christmas. Be good and go to church! mom

Anonymous said...

Awwwww!!! Your mommy loves you!

And we all do too! Cant wait to see you over x-mas.

*SARS*