Friday, November 03, 2006

Halloween and El Dia de los Muertos

I did get to dress up for Halloween. There was a party at my school and I had to wear a costume all day. It was pretty awkward teaching classes with my (Karin’s) cool sherrif fit. Check it out. Oh-yea, my pumpkin was cooler than Karin’s (even though I had lines on it that I didn't use)!





El dia de los muertos was incredible. On my way home from work Wednesday night there was gobs and gobs of people at the cemetery. When I got home I told Karin, "Put some clothes on 'cause were going to the cemetary!" She was all busy packing and what not and wasn't going to go but I was like I'm goin! I just wanted to experience what the deal was. She finally came around and we busted up. It is the tradition to visit loved ones that have gone before them. The graves were all above ground. Karin said that they were like the ones in New Orleans, they were either concrete box thingies or just plain dirt mounds. They decorate the graves with flowers and candles and offer things to them that they liked during their lives (music, food, alcohol, candy, ect.), there was candles all over the place. The place was packed, there was food and flower stands set up in front. It was an incredible experience that I think everybody should have it. Just seeing something that is sooo weird to our culture, but so normal to the people here. We didn’t get very many good pics because we didn’t know how kosher it was to take them but check ‘em out. There is a movie clip that shows a good view of a decorated grave.



Candles throught the cemetary






Me gettin' some good ass Tacos!


Check out more el dia de los muertos stuff from the market here.

We'll see what's up!

No comments: