Monday, July 02, 2007

Milwaukee Lakefront 7's (part 1)

I wanted to wait a little bit to tell the stories of another great road trip until I could get all the pics together but I just couldn't.

It all started with me a couple days into an upper respiratory infection that yielded me in a painful cough and throbbing sore throat, and since my insurance from my new job didn't kick in until July 1st, I was stuck self medicating.

We had a long 9 hour drive to Milwaukee a head of us on Friday afternoon. We planned on leaving around 5pm when we got out of work, get to GR at about 7:30 and then Milwaukee at about 12-1am local time, but we had to wait for our good buddy Tulips (Razor, Tack, Copperfield, Pigpen, Ferris... you pick a name... more on that later) to get out of work... and we didn't leave Saginaw until 9pm! It wasn't that bad though. It gave Bishop and I time to catch Happy Hour at Steamers in Old Town!

Once evening fell and my couple beer buzz was lost I was HIT! Terrible cough and sore throat made for a miserable trip. I got some stuff from Rite-Aid to try and knock myself out for the drive... and it worked pretty well!

It was a pretty quiet and calm trip down. We picked up the Grand Valley boys just outside of Kalamazoo on I-94, which made 7 dudes in a minivan (not too bad when you are expecting 8). It was late and we were tired, usually we would have picked up some beer and had some roadies but the mood just wasn't right.

We pulled into a Super 8 in Kenosha, WI at about 3:30 local time for a hotel. I talked the dude down 10 bucks 'cause it was so late (or early) and we hit up a McD's and headed to the room. McD's did exceptionally well with all of our orders. We spent $35 (and the bulk of that was double cheeseburgers) on complicated orders for the picky kids (Schoen and his Big Mac Sauce on his double cheeseburgers). It didn’t take much longer as if it were midday. I was so impressed I contemplated calling the headquarters and complimenting them. I haven’t yet.

Our room was supposed to be two double beds but it turned out to be one King, so Bishop and I took the bed and made all the kids lay on the floor (actually we offered the spot in between us to somebody but there was no takers). We were set for out 3 hour nap to be on the road by 7am for our hour drive to be on time for our 8:30am game.

When I woke up, after 10 min. of Baba-O’ Riley on my cell phone alarm, I felt the shittiest of my sick days yet. There was an elephant on my chest and a new symptom… phlegm! I was in no mood to play and was really regretting my decision to travel knowing that I would be sick. Once we got to the park, all I wanted to do was sit there and bitch about how shitty I felt. I was not happy.

It wasn’t until after the second game, around noon, that I finally came around. I think after I got moving, my veins and lungs opened up. I still had a painful whooping cough, but at least I wasn’t dragging ass and bringing everybody down. I was at the point where I didn’t even want to drink that night and stay in a hotel room… but how long could that last, really!

After we got spanked by Milwaukee (who won the tournament, we went 1-2, our other loss was to GR who finished 4th) the beer was flowing and the costumes for the weekend’s theme came out in full effect! Magnum P.I.! These pictures tell it all! (c;lick on the pic to go to the album)





















Fantastic Pics by Karinski!
(I will get more pics from others soon)
I will finish the rest of the night’s tales in the next installment.

We’ll see what’s up.

No comments: